The Chamber of Commerce staff and membership actively promote the Ely area through national, regional and local promotions. These efforts have generated a substantial increase in tourism and the tourism dollars received within the Ely area. Our community, local businesses and the businesses who serve the Ely area have all benefited from these efforts.
The Ely Chamber Of Commerce’s operating budget is funded by voluntary investment by its members. Continued growth of Ely’s tourism industry will depend on the Chamber’s efforts to promote tourism in the Ely area. A collective effort from our community and the businesses that serve the area will provide the Chamber with resources needed to effectively operate. Chamber membership is an investment in the present and future of the individual’s and community’s welfare.
The Chamber’s work is never done as there are always new challenges and new ideas that can provide more growth for the Ely area. We appreciate the contribution and support of all of our members.
The Chamber’s calendar year is from July 1st through June 30th. Join Now! Your support and membership in Ely’s Chamber of Commerce will help us accomplish the goal of continued growth in tourism for the Ely area. If you have any questions or concerns about the Chamber, please feel free to call the Administrative Director, Linda Fryer, at 365-6123.
YOUR CHAMBER AT WORK:
- Hosts national and international writers
- Prints and distributes 50,000 Ely Area Vacation Guides
- Prints and distributes 3,000 Resource Guides
- Funds the Coolest Small Town Coupon Booklet for visitors to our area
- Provides assistance to those seeking a vacation/getaway
- Maintains a website (www.ely.org) that offers free listings to our members
- Makes available a prospect list of referrals to its members
- Is designated an “Explore Minnesota Affiliate Travel Information Center” by Explore Minnesota
- Coordinates the expenditure of the local lodging tax-national advertising featuring Ely as a travel destination
- Staffs the Chamber office year-round with two full-time and five part-time employees
- Maintains a close working relationship with Explore Minnesota and governmental agencies on all levels
- Assists with the coordination of Ely area events which bring people into the community
- Coordinates and funds several City of Ely beautification projects
- Provides a year-round information center which is visited annually by 50,000 people
Total Membership – 300
The activities of the Ely Chamber of Commerce actually began with the formation of the Business Men’s Association in 1908. Concerns at that time centered around retail trade, industrial development, taxes, roads, and public health. A standing tourist committee was appointed in 1911 and the Ely Commercial Club developed in 1916. The Chamber of Commerce’s present constitution and bylaws were adopted in 1959. The organization is of nonprofit status and is comprised of businesses, institutions, professionals, clubs, organizations and individuals. The organization operates year round with a seven member board, an office staff of seven, and 300 members.
HOW IS THE CHAMBER FUNDED?
The Operating Account – operation of the organization – payroll, building, supplies, equipment, etc. is funded primarily by our membership.
The Promotional Account – driven by projects that fund themselves – Harvest Moon Festival, “Smile, You’re in Ely,” Vacation Guide, etc.
The Projects Account is funds which have been dedicated to specific future projects – capital funds.
MERCHANTS ACCOUNT RECEIVES ITS FUNDS FROM:
Blueberry Art Festival – Main source of revenue for the merchant activities.
TOURISM BUREAU RECEIVES ITS FUNDS FROM:
The Lodging Tax is the main source of revenue.
Dedicated solely for the promotion of the Ely area.
Grants – Possible through Explore Minnesota
CALL 218-365-6123 FOR AN APPLICATION OR WRITE:
1600 E. SHERIDAN ST. ELY, MN 55731
WHAT’S THE PURPOSE OF THE ELY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE?
To promote the economic, civic and social welfare of the people of the Ely area.
THE ELY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE SPONSORS AND/OR CO-SPONSORS:
Blueberry Art Festival, Fall Harvest Moon Festival, Smile, You’re In Ely, 4th of July Fireworks & Whiteside Park Activities, Passport to the Northwoods, Ely Winton Rod and Gun Club Water Cross, Wolftrack Classic Sled Dog Race, Ely Winter Festival, Ely ArtWalk, Fun Run Snowmobile Ride, Loony Day, Christmas Lighting and Decorating in the business district, Snowmobile and Ski Trail Grooming, Nature Nights, Flower Baskets, Regional Baseball Tournaments, Tuesday Nite Live, Ely Winton Historical Society History Nights, Ely Arts & Heritage Center, City Wide Rummage Sale & Business Crazy Days.
I BELONG TO THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE:
- Because I realize that in unity there is strength.
- Because it is the best medium for serving my community as a whole.
- Because I believe in the future growth and progress of my city.
- Because its only qualification for membership is good citizenship.
- Because I want to work with my fellow citizens for the common interest of all.
- Because I want to benefit by their concerted planning, counselling, and action.
- Because it is a clearing house for business information, business service, and community effort.
- Because membership pays a high rate of interest in service, personal contacts, community betterment and civic pride.
- Because experience and the records of the past have conclusively demonstrated its usefulness and justified existence, not only in this community but in practically every other community in every part of the world.